Thursday, October 23, 2008

3rd Meeting (1st Week/September)

Now it was the Wednesday before I was to leave on Friday. My staff person wasn't sure Sweetie was going to warm up and allow her to come into the house or even touch her if I wasn't there. I had hope, though. One of Sweet's special qualities is that once you're in her club, you're in for life. She's not a shy dog that has weird handling issues and will snap or be uncomfortable once you've made friends. A small blessing, but it means a lot when she makes new friends.

But, we knew that if she was going to be watched by a new person, that person would have to come up to the house when I wasn't there. So, when her new friend came over, I left the house (hesitantly but optimistically) a few minutes before she arrived.

We had success! My staff person walked in the door with treats, dispensed yumminess, and was greeted with a bouncy-ish Sweetie. Not totally loosey goosey but interested and wagging. When I returned in the house 5 minutes later, they were in the kitchen by that point and a petting session was in progress in Sweet's favorite doggie doughnut bed in the kitchen. She had relaxed enough to be on her back and have a full-on belly rub.

She had made a new friend, and my trip was on! I was nervous, I cried out of joy that she had made a friend and a little out of nervousness of leaving her. I have a high level of management for Sweetsie to keep both of us safe and allow her to progress, so the thought of leaving it in someone else's hands was a little scary. But, I knew she was in capable hands.

No comments: